My Story

lunes, febrero 14, 2005

Valentine's Day!

So, it's Valentine's Day again, the day when love is in the air (besides pollen spores from all the flowers people send) and people are supposed to display their love to their significant others.

My day was pretty much normal: I had to wake up early as I have been doing for quite some time now, went to my practices at the hotel and in the afternoon I sat at home as usual. When I first woke up, I didn't even remember it was Valentine's Day until I arrived at my place and had a look at the newspaper: on the first page, there was a big headline about the celebrations that will take place today and another one about the flower shops who expect to sell all their stock.

The origins of St. Valentine's Day are believed to be more than 1700 years ago; the Emperor had banned marriage because he believed married men would not make good soldiers. However a priest called Valentine kept marrying couples secretly, and when the Caesar found out, he was obviously imprisoned (and probably beheaded or sent to some gladiator fight). Well, it seems that this priest died on February 14th of some year around 270 A.D. and therefore we celebrate Valentine's Day (although as every festivity we have, the date is not accurate, since it was made to be the same day as some other pagan celebration).

But what's the point of Valentine's Day? I mean, it is really nice to receive and give flowers, chocolates and gifts to the people you love, but is it really necessary to wait for February 14th to do something you can do the other 364 days of the whole year? If you really love someone, I'm sure you can tell that person that you really care and that what you feel is love all year long right?

You don't need to wait for some special day in the year to be romantic; besides giving out spontaneous gifts such as roses, love letters, chocolates or any other detail you can think of on a plain and common day during the year are definitely a lot more lovely and natural, and a lot sweeter than anything you might give during Valentine's Day, as in the worst case, it might seem forced or obligatory.

Although I strongly believe that you shouldn't wait for one day to tell that special someone you love her/him, I still think Valentine's Day is a really nice one. If you don't think so, just look at anyone who receives something, no matter how insignificant it might be, from their loved ones; their faces brighten up, they whistle or sing some stupid love song, they show everyone whatever they have received (trying to make others jealous) and they feel like the happiest people in the world.

Nonetheless, I haven't followed the tradition; Valentine's Day has been just another day for me. Maybe someday, when I find that someone, I'll do something special on this day... like I will every day of the year (if I can XP).

Well, I think I'll leave the "love" topic for some other posts.
Just remember people, it does not have to be Valentine's Day to express your feelings (but this day is somewhat of a "bonus" one) ^_^

Happy Valentine's Day to everyone!