My Story

sábado, agosto 09, 2008

Back Home ^^

After around 24 hours since I checked-in at the airport in Stuttgart, going through two security checks and two passport control stations, and a bit more than 7 hours of waiting at the Schipol Airport in Amsterdam, I'm finally at home, and blogging.

Today, I shall report about this recent travel experience, which actually wasn't all that different from the previous times I've done the Stuttgart-Amsterdam-Guayaquil route, besides the fact that I was carrying an electric guitar with me, and that the airport in Amsterdam has changed, and not exactly for good.

Nothing amazing happened before arriving to Amsterdam; airport procedures in Stuttgart were just the usual ones and things went quite smoothly. The KLM Cityhopper plane departed on time, and we arrived as planned in the Netherlands. We did notice that KLM was working on keeping costs low to make their services affordable (you know, because of the whole petrol price crisis and stuff); the sandwiches (which were quite good, I must say) that use to be served on this short trip had been replaced by crackers.

In Amsterdam, the long wait wasn't that bad; the airport itself is quite cool, with plenty of shops and restaurants and places to rest. I only had some trouble finding a convenient place to plug my laptop in (and I still dislike the fact that in most airports there is no free wireless internet, while here in Ecuador -"3rd world country"- you do get it for free in the waiting lounges).

Oh, there was also another thing I wanted to point out: they have doubled security procedures in that airport to the point that you are checked again right before boarding the plane, which means that the sitting places before the gate have been cut down to a half, to give room for the x-ray machines and metal detectors and some additional right-before-boarding seating. That was absolutely not cool, since the amount of seats they left in the "not safe zone" are barely enough to seat one third or so from the whole passengers of the aircraft, meaning that the rest would have to find a place to rest in some other corner of the airport.

The flight from Amsterdam to Ecuador departed close to "on time", and I practically slept through the whole thing. I did wake up for the meals, which again showed how the airline was cutting down costs; dinner was some soup, another strange tasting salad and a piece of cake, breakfast was eggs/strange sweet other thing, some yogurt and fruit, and the second breakfast (Bonaire-Guayaquil) was an egg-cheese sandwich and yogurt. Meals used to be much better (with more and better tasting stuff to eat), but well, I guess that's what happens when the world's economy takes an unpleasant turn.

I arrived home with a more or less 17 minutes delay (according to my parents), and that's the end of the story. 'til the next post!

Etiquetas: , , ,